Re: EPrints, DSpace or ESpace?

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_PHOENIX.PRINCETON.EDU>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 19:45:06 -0400

Steve, you have the numbers right but the implications backwards:

> > If old versions of Word are a problem, then WE (the preachers) ought
> > to remove those impediments to getting it into archives.
>
> WE preachers are few, whereas THEY (authors) are many (about 2,000,000
> peer-reviewed journal articles are published annually).

The conclusion I would draw from it is that it is easier to get the few
preachers to change, than the many authors.
..
similarly,

> They are in the Eprints documentation. Every Eprints Archive need only
> inform its depositor community.

 And this attitude is, as every librarian knows, unrealistic. We have
devoted enormous effort to making sure that users read
documentation. Almost none of them do. The sort that do, become
librarians. It is up to the professionals running the systems to make
sure they work for the ordinary users, ignorant as they may be of what is
important to us.

> Stevan Harnad

Dr. David Goodman

Princeton University Library
and
Palmer School of Library and Information Science, LIU

dgoodman_at_princeton.edu