How Research Funding Agencies Can Promote Open Access

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:21:45 +0100

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Prof Bruce Royan wrote:

> As an occasional lurker on these exchanges, can I ask what the role of the
> Research Councils is, or should be, in all this? They fund much of the
> research which is published, and they have an interest in the results of the
> research they fund being widely disseminated, rather than locked up in
> journals only accessible from institutions that can afford to pay (possibly
> with research council money :-). Is there a role for them in building Open
> Archive services for folk in institutions that are not doing this, or
> portals to the archives that are? Perhaps they are doing this already?

The role of the Research Councils should be to ensure that funded
research is not only published ("publish or perish") but made openly
accessible to all potential users worldwide. There are two ways they can
help in this regard. One is to mandate institutional self-archiving of
all refereed research:

   Harnad, S., Carr, L., Brody, T. & Oppenheim, C. (2003) Mandated online
   RAE CVs Linked to University Eprint Archives. Ariadne 35.
   http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue35/harnad/

The other is to support open-access journals:

    Re: Bethesda statement on open access publishing
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/2878.html

There is progress on both these approaches, but open-access journals
seem to be an easier concept to grasp, even though they are not within
immediate universal reach, as self-archiving is. (It is for this reason
that although I fully support both BOAI approaches to open access --
http://www.soros.org/openaccess/read.shtml -- I invest all my own
available time and energy into demonstrating the feasibility and benefits
of immediate self-archiving.)

    Maximizing university research impact through self-archiving
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/che.htm

        "Research funding agencies such as NSF or NIH (US), HEFCE or
        EPSRC (UK), NSERC, CFI or FRSQ (Canada), or CNRS or INSERM
        (France) need to encourage self-archiving as part of the normal
        research cycle, requiring not only that the research findings
        be published, as they already require, but that their visibility
        and usage be maximized by making them openly accessible through
        self-archiving."

the American Scientist September Forum (98 & 99 & 00 & 01 & 02 & 03):

                            or
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/index.html

Discussion can be posted to: american-scientist-open-access-forum_at_amsci.org