Re: How Research Funding Agencies Can Promote Open Access

From: Neil Jacobs <neil.jacobs_at_BRISTOL.AC.UK>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:48:47 +0100

Bruce Royan's point is an interesting one. I should express an interest,
that I work on the ESRC's database 'Regard' <www.regard.ac.uk>. While
Regard does not currently hold eprints, we are conducting a feasibility
study into this. Our development plan specifically mentions moves toward an
ESRC eprint service, though whether that would be as content or service
provider is still undecided. It may well be, as Stevan Harnad suggests,
that institutions are in the best place to be content providers.
I should make clear, however, that I do not speak for the ESRC, since
Regard is a contracted service run by the ILRT at Bristol. As far as I'm
aware, the ESRC's plans in this area are under active development.
Best wishes
Neil Jacobs
----------------------
Dr Neil Jacobs, Information Officer (Regard)
Institute for Learning and Research Technology
University of Bristol
8-10 Berkeley Square
Bristol, BS8 1HH, UK

phone: +44 (0)117 9287057
fax: +44 (0)117 9287112
email: neil.jacobs_at_bristol.ac.uk

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:21:45 +0100, Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ECS.SOTON.AC.UK>
wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Prof Bruce Royan wrote:
>
>> As an occasional lurker on these exchanges, can I ask what the role of
the
>> Research Councils is, or should be, in all this? They fund much of the
>> research which is published, and they have an interest in the results of
the
>> research they fund being widely disseminated, rather than locked up in
>> journals only accessible from institutions that can afford to pay
(possibly
>> with research council money :-). Is there a role for them in building
Open