Re: The True Cost of the Essentials (Implementing Peer Review)

From: Fred Spilhaus <FSpilhaus_at_AGU.ORG>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 17:37:56 -0400

That is one way but it requires a completely different economic
model. It is not clear to me how to get from here to there in
one swoop even if one wanted to. The complexities of serving
authors in many different circumstances and under a variety of
different national and institututional constraints is daunting.
While minimizing cost to the reader may increase use, which is in
the authors interest and the best interests of science it has to
be done with all of the other constraints in mind such as having
somewhere of quality to publish in future.

I expect you will see some hybids that free the material that is
fully paid up front. But in our case that could further
complicate what may be the most complex pricing scheme that is
openly available so that you know what you are paying and can
decide if you are being treated fairly in pricing. Its a trde
off: skip the price negotiation and go staight to the license or
spend your timne hassling over price so the license seems small.
On the one side you pay marketing people and on the other
lawyers. I would like to minimize both. FRED