Re: Access-Denial, Impact-Denial and the Developing and Developed World

From: Subbiah Arunachalam <arun_at_mssrf.res.in>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 12:21:50 +0100

Friends:

I read with interest Rahim Rajan's posting to the CSTD-UNIVERSAL list. The
point that the Internet and high bandwidths provide a large enough pipe
but what is important is what flows through the pipe is well taken. Also
all of us will agree that it is not enough to provide the hardware and
Internet connections, but one may also have to think of helping new
users to use them effectively and efficiently. This was the case even
before Internet came on the scene. In the early 1970s I have conducted
several 'user education' programmes at important higher education and
research institutions in India using tape-slide programmes produced by
some polytechnics in the UK. I have also used material produced by the
Chemical Abstracts Service in my programmes.

Unfortunately technological advances have exacerbated the gap between
the advanced countries and poorer countries in the area of scholarly and
scientifc information. One reason for this is the increasing stranglehold
private interests have on the 'content'. Take for instance scientific,
technical and medical (STM) journals. For profit companies control
a large part of the market. The subscription costs of these journals
are increasing at a rate faster than the general inflation rate. As
a consequence even libraries in the United States felt the pain of the
'serials crisis'. Most developing country academic and research libraries
take fewer journals now than before. Except PubMed, no major secondary
service is available for free access on the Internet. Of course, there
are a few contents page services available for free.

This problem of access to literature of science can be solved easily,
but somehow we are not trying hard enough. Ask Stevan Harnad and he will
tell you how by setting up institutional archives and making them all
interoperable (for which the tools and technologies are already available
and at no cost) we can make everyone having access to the Internet
obtain access to all the world's emerging scientific knowledge. Indeed,
he is a true crusader!

One problem would still remain. How are we going to provide inexpensive
Internet access to scientists and scholars in the poor countries? Bruce
Alberts, President of the US National Academy of Science, suggests that even
if it means heavy subsidies we should provide the computers and Internet
connections to ALL scientists. We should persuade organizations like Unesco,
Foundations such as the Ford, Mellon and Rockefeller Foundations, and donor
agencies such as DFID and USAID to consider a joint programme that would
provide low-cost Internet access to scientists and scholars in the
developing world. The forthcoming WSIS is a wonderful opportunity to put
forth such a proposal.

Together, archiving all worthwhile research papers in an interoperable
system and providing computers and Internet connections to those scientists
who do not already have them would cost much less than many libraries around
the world subscribing to thousands of toll-access journals. There is the
issue of peer review now provided by journal editors and publishers. But
then, physicists do have informal peer review in the well known archives
'arXiv'. There are also newer models of journal publishing where the costs
of producing and distributing the 'journal' is absorbed by someone on the
authors' side (e.g. the funding agency which supported the research) and the
readers don't pay anything. BioMed Central is a good example.

I have articulated my views on this subject in an article I published in the
Bulletin of ASIST a few months ago.

Arun
[Subbiah Arunachalam]