Re: Central vs. Distributed Archives

From: Eberhard R. Hilf <hilf_at_PHYSNET.PHYSIK.UNI-OLDENBURG.DE>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 15:21:52 +0200

dear Colleagues,
the physics ArXiv has a linear increase of the number of papers put in per
month, this gives a quadratic acceleration of the total content (growth
rate of Data base), not linear.
Total amount by now may be at 10-15 % of all papers in physics.
Linear growth of input rate means the number of physicists and fields
using it rises, while in each field (and physicist) a saturation is
reached after a first exponential individual rise.

Never there will be a saturation such that all papers will go this way,
since in different fields culture and habits and requirements are
different. --
[That is why it is e.g. best, to keep letter distribution by
horses at a remote island (Juist) alive since the medieval times].
Ebs

Eberhard R. Hilf, Dr. Prof.;
CEO (Geschaeftsfuehrer)
Institute for Science Networking Oldenburg GmbH
an der Carl von Ossietzky Universitaet
Ammerlaender Heerstr.121; D-26129 Oldenburg
ISN-home: http://www.isn-oldenburg.de/
homepage: http://isn-oldenburg.de/~hilf
email : hilf_at_isn-oldenburg.de
tel : +49-441-798-2884