Re: On the Need to Take Both Roads to Open Access

From: Richard Durbin <rd_at_SANGER.AC.UK>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 23:40:57 +0100

I have been watching this mailing list for some time.

Although I applaud open archiving, from my point of view open access
publishing is what is needed in the long run.

This is because the key property is not that everyone can get at a copy
of a publication, but rather that people can use information in it
computationally, producing extracts, syntheses, new indexes etc. This
is now possible.

I come from the community that led open release of data in genomics: the
C.elegans genome mapping then sequencing project, followed by the human
genome project. The real value of the way that genome data such as the
human genome sequence is available is that people can use it and build
on it. Building on publications used to be open, because the only way
to do it was to read and then write something else (e.g. a review or a
new paper with a new idea). And a subscription cost was reasonable
historically because most of the costs were in printing and
distribution. Now, at least in biological science, a lot of valuable
data are published in papers in tables and figures, and people are
developing computational tools that can use this information, and even
the free text. (See www.textpresso.org for an example of the latter.)
So there are ways to use the information in papers for new science, but
to do this we need much more open access to the literature.

Research funding is provided to generate outputs that others can build
on. Funders, and the rest of the system, want publication to be as
unconstrained as possible, and the only reasons that we haven't yet
taken advantage of electronic publishing to make things less constrained
are historical inertia and the commercial interests of some publishers
(see last week's Wellcome Trust report).

So, for me, Open Archiving is just a tactical move to keep the
publishers moving to the larger goal of changing scientific publishing
to a better and more natural model, which is possible now with the
network and electronic publishing.

Richard Durbin
Head of Informatics, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute