Re: Scientific publishing is not just about administering peer-review

From: Fytton Rowland <J.F.Rowland_at_LBORO.AC.UK>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 01:01:13 +0100

I haven't reposted Etienne's post ans Stevan's answers, but I'd just like
to say that I think we are getting to the heart of the matter now. If we
mostly agree that peer review (including within that term the activities of
the academic editor, the editorial board, and the referees of a journal)
must remain, and that the administration of peer review has a cost, the
remaining activity of professional, paid editors is copy-editing. Is copy-
editing necessary?

I think it is useful to have focussed in on this as a key issue within the
question of "the cost of the essentials".

Fytton Rowland.