Re: Free Access vs. Open Access

From: Jan Velterop <jan_at_biomedcentral.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:20:21 +0000

    [Forwarded from a separate discussion thread on the Humanist list
    concerning open access to monographs. Redirected here because it
    now focusses on the "free vs. open" distinction. -- SH]

If online material is 'open' in the sense of 'free' that is of course a
great step forward, but if it's only available in pdf I'd have to agree with
Gradmann that that is decidedly sub-optimal to say the least, as we have
really moved on with regard to the technical possibilities. Not being
optimal in itself shouldn't be an excuse for not making freely available
what can be made freely available by (self)archiving in open access
repositories, but at the same time we shouldn't lose sight of the ultimate
and patently feasible goal, 'open' access (as defined in the Berlin
Declaration, the Bethesda principles, by Wellcome, PLoS, BioMed Central, and
others) as opposed to merely 'free' access. It doesn't help to be
sub-ambitious; 'free' will come in the wake of the open access movement, but
I doubt if the reverse is true. If one really wants to use literature
efficiently that often involves nowadays electronic tools to analyse,
data-mine, and text-mine the material, for which it has to be in a
machine-readable format.

Open Access really is more than just an economical goal (although it goes
without saying that being able to access literature without having to be at
an institution that can afford the access tolls helps enormously).

Perhaps the difference in approach between open access publishing and
self-archiving, while both working in parallel to strengthen one another, is
the sense of priority of a qualitative (in terms of usability) versus a
quantitative one.

Jan Velterop