Re: Open Letter to Philip Campbell, Editor, Nature

From: Peter Suber <peters_at_EARLHAM.EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:27:57 -0500

At 09:48 AM 10/29/2003 +0000, you wrote:

>On 28 Oct 2003 at 17:02, Peter Suber wrote:
>

> > This elaboration can easily be read to include the author's directory
> > within an institutional repository.
> >

>but the next faq from Nature says that 'you may not distribute the
>PDF... on open archives'. So presumably you can still keep _your_
>version of the article on an open archive, but not the one which was
>published in Nature.
>
>Regards
>Chris Korycinski
>
>St Andrews eprints administrator, Main Library

Chris,
      You're right. But the FAQ makes clear that it's the PDF and its
distinctive look and feel, not the refereed text, that _Nature_ wants to
keep out of open archives. As long as authors may post the refereed text
to open archives, then we have all we need for open access.

      Best,
      Peter

Peter Suber
Research Professor of Philosophy, Earlham College
Open Access Project Director, Public Knowledge
Author, SPARC Open Access Newsletter
Editor, Open Access News blog
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/
peter.suber_at_earlham.edu