Re: Open Access in Developing Countries

From: Jan Velterop <jan_at_biomedcentral.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 12:11:30 +0000

Re: http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/3123.html

Dr. Vinod Scaria is levelling charges of monopolism at BioMed Central that
are difficult to understand, unjustified, and unsubstantiated. This is
unfortunate and not very helpful to Open Access.

But buried in his posting is the expression of concern for the barriers to
science communication (be it as reader of toll-access literature or as
author of input-paid open access articles) impecunious scientists in
developing countries face. We are sympathetic to that.

Well-intentioned initiatives like HINARI (WHO) and AGORA (FAO) attempt to
alleviate some of the disadvantages developing countries have by making
toll-access science literature available to them at reduced rates or even
free. However well-intentioned, I'm afraid these initiatives amount to
little more than window-dressing in many cases. Sure, some of the poorest
countries, where scientists are as scarce as polar bears in the Sahara, have
free access. But others, who have an active scientific community, have been
exempted from the schemes by the toll-access publishers, because the money
made from those countries would be lost to the publishers if these countries
were included, however poor they may be. Elaborate security measures are put
in place to prevent 'leakage' or 'seepage' of the material from countries
that have free or discounted access to wealthier countries. This is very
logical, from a toll-access publisher's point of view, especially in regard
of online versions which are easily shared across borders, and a consequence
of the subscription-based publishing model.

In BioMed Central's Open Access model we see the cost of publishing as an
integral part of the cost of doing research. Research projects, and
consequently their publication, are not funded to the same level in
developing countries as in the OECD states. This must, of course, be
addressed. Input-paid Open Access offers a much more robust possibility for
differential pricing. There is no risk of 'leakage' or 'seepage' of the
material, by the very definition of Open Access. Transactions can be
tailored to individual circumstances of authors or institutions without
upsetting the principles of the model in any way. Researchers in developing
countries can easily be given discounts or even waivers (as indeed we put in
practice at BioMed Central). Thus far, we find that there isn't the
slightest unease of authors from wealthier countries at the thought of
Article Processing Charges we ask them to pay containing an element of
'subsidy' to support articles from their colleagues in less advantaged
countries.

Jan Velterop
BioMed Central