Re: Cornell University Library (to cancel Elsevier journals?)

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 15:31:20 +0000

 On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Leslie Carr wrote:

> This is an unexpected event! We have always damped down controversy by
> claiming that open access has no effect on journal subscriptions. Is
> there any sign from Cornell whether this move was prompted by
> physicists or librarians? And how the physicists feel about it?

The cancellation is just a (not unexpected) part of the several-year-old
old-SPARC strategy of trying to drive journal prices down to help
solve the serials budget crisis.

http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/0697.html

It may be emboldened at this moment by what look to be open-access
developments, but it is not driven by or dependent on them. It is just
the year-to-year struggle by libraries to make ends meet.

Whether the users will go along with it is another question.

It may help open access, however, if it helps inspire authors to publish in
open-access journals if/when they can (gold), and to self-archive
their toll-access articles if/when they can't (green). But mostly I
think it is just a parallel development in the domain of library budget
policies. Open access is a far bigger issue than the serials crisis,
and an independent one -- it would remain an issue even if all 24,000
journals were sold to libraries at-cost -- but meanwhile, libraries
still have to survive from year to year!

Stevan Harnad

NOTE: Complete archive of the ongoing discussion of providing open
the American Scientist September Forum (98 & 99 & 00 & 01 & 02 & 03):
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/index.html
    Posted discussion to: american-scientist-open-access-forum_at_amsci.org

Dual Open-Access Strategy:
            journal whenever one exists.
    http://www.eprints.org/signup/sign.php
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/self-archiving_files/Slide0026.gif