Re: Journals > Peer-Reviewed Journals > Open-Access Journals < Open Access

From: Jan Velterop <jan_at_BIOMEDCENTRAL.COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 09:47:27 -0000

I fully agree with what Mike and Sally say. 'Numbers of journals' is a bad
metric, as their sizes differ so dramatically. But what Mike brings up is
very important. It's not the number of journals that count but the range of
options to publish with open access. Why would the current universe of
25,000 toll access journals have to be replaced by 25,000 open access
journals? Why not just 250? Or why not 50,000? It is the proportion of the
literature that is available with open access that counts. Small now, but
growing fast, and likely to reach a 'tipping point' in the foreseeable
future.

Jan Velterop
BioMed Central

http://www.messagelabs.com