Re: Free Access vs. Open Access

From: Barbara Kirsop <barbara_at_biostrat.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 17:37:47 +0000

Dear All,

I have sympathised with Stevan's New Year message on the
misunderstandings and digressions regarding acceptance of OA (see
american-scientist-open-access-forum_at_amsci.org). We faced all these
uncertainties at the Bangalore workshop last year and developed a FAQ
similar to Stevan's for the EPT web site (www.epublishingtrust.org). The
present discussions on the AmSci forum on whether 'open' is the same
as/different from 'free' access and comparing this with the need to feed
the starving now or wait a bit til everyone can have 'organic' food is
spot on. I reflect that these discussions, erudite and entertaining as
they are, are of little interest to science in the developing world.
Scientists (and patients with malaria) in the developing world need the
information now, asap, in any format that can best be provided, don't
wait til everything is perfect, just do it. And science in the developed
world equally needs the highly relevant research from the developing
regions now - though it mostly doesn't recognise this knowledge gap.

So I was pleased to read the message from Dr. T.B. Rajashekar of the IIS
that he and his colleagues plan to promote and inform the scientists
in India about their institutional archive (eprints.iisc.ernet.in) in
the coming months. Great. Perhaps the most important message that is
least understood by scientists is that they can 'do it now' and still
continue to publish in their favoured journals, in parallel. We are all
naturally hesitant to give up the system we know and love and trust, so
people should understand that there is no need to. Just do it now and the
world will not collapse around them, they will not be criticised by their
colleagues, but infinitely more fellow scientists will be aware of their
research, their organisations will be promoted and they will themselves
have contributed to the global knowledge pool, currently only half-filled.

So good luck to Raja, to Arun's indefatigable efforts and to the
excellent Bioline (www.bioline.org.br) for helping the developing
country publishers understand OA and providing a place for them to do it
(eprints.utsc.utoronto.ca). Maybe we would be right, as Arun suggests, to
focus on India, China and Brazil first, and maybe the 2004 e-publishing
workshop in Brasilia could be a start, and could be cloned for other
regions?

Barbara