Re: Free Access vs. Open Access

From: Peter Suber <peters_at_earlham.edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 13:55:50 +0000

At 02:13 PM 1/3/2004 +0000, Jan Velterop wrote:

>Peter,
>
>You're absolutely correct in your observation that our differences are
>minute, in the scheme of things. Nonetheless, I think I disagree with you
>that we have Open Access if just the price barrier is lifted.

Jan,
      You have this part of my position reversed. On this point I was
agreeing with you that open access goes beyond lifting price barriers to
lifting permission barriers. For a fuller exposition of why I think
removing both kinds of access barrier is important, see
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/writing/acrl.htm

      Best,
      Peter

Peter Suber
Research Professor of Philosophy, Earlham College
Open Access Project Director, Public Knowledge
Author, SPARC Open Access Newsletter
Editor, Open Access News blog
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/
peter.suber_at_earlham.edu