Stable Self-Archiving Software

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 11:42:36 +0000

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Jim Till wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Stevan Harnad wrote [in part]:
>
> >[sh]> If you have the money to publish *one* article in
> >[sh]> PLoS ($1500) you have more than enough money to set
> >[sh]> up at least one eprint archive. (Kepler OAI
> >[sh]> "archivelets" might be an even cheaper solution:
> >[sh]> http://www.dlib.org/dlib/april01/maly/04maly.html ).
>
> I did set up, in June 2001, the original version of a Kepler
> archivelet. However, the original Kepler Search Service,
> where my eprints were cached, is no longer supported by the
> research group at Old Dominion University.

So go with stable, supported software (free) like GNU Eprints:
http://www.eprints.org
Rock-steady since launched in 2000
http://www.dlib.org/dlib/october00/10inbrief.html#HARNAD
and with over 100 universities and research institutions already using it
worldwide.
http://software.eprints.org/archives.php

> So, maybe it might not be entirely ridiculous to include it
> in this CogPrints subject category:
>
> * Philosophy
> o Ethics (18)

Go ahead. CogPrints is running on eprints.org software too.
http://cogprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/

Stevan Harnad