Re: New channel of support for open-access publishing

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:16:12 +0000

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Thomas Krichel wrote:

> $1500 per paper should be amply sufficient to fund the
> publishing operation. I suggest that libraries support other
> ventures with more moderate charges.

Thomas, did you mean $500 ? Otherwise your posting does not quite
make sense. (PLoS is proposing $1500.)

If you meant $500 I remind you that PLoS is aiming explicitly for the
high (quality, impact, prestige) end of science publishing (the level
of Nature and Science) on the assumption that if the high end can be
won over to OA journals, the rest will follow suit.

$1500 may well cover extra enhancements that make the transition at the
high end more appealing to authors at this time. If and when there is
a wholesale transition from TA to OA, there can also be some downsizing
to just the essentials, in order to minimise unnecessary costs.

    "Separating Quality-Control Service-Providing from Document-Providing"
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/0466.html

    "Distinguishing the Essentials from the Optional Add-Ons"
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/1437.html

    "The True Cost of the Essentials (Implementing Peer Review)"
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/0303.html

    "The True Cost of the Essentials
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/1973.html

    "Re: The True Cost of the Essentials (Implementing Peer Review - NOT!)"
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/1966.html

    "Journal expenses and publication costs"
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/2589

    "Re: Scientific publishing is not just about administering peer-review"
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/3069.html

    "Author Publication Charge Debate"
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/1387.html

access to the peer-reviewed research literature online (1998-2004)
is available at the American Scientist Open Access Forum:
        To join the Forum:
        Post discussion to:
        Hypermail Archive:
    http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/index.html

Unified Dual Open-Access-Provision Policy:
            journal whenever one exists.
            http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/boaifaq.htm#journals
            http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/
    http://www.eprints.org/signup/sign.php