Re: Citation is Medium-Independent

From: Ed Sponsler <eds_at_library.caltech.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:55:03 +0000

We follow the citation style indicated by SH (roughly) for unpublished
papers for most of our eprints records. It's simple, basic and serves its
function of getting people to the eprints metadata page.

Author (year) Title. URL

As in:

Sponsler, Ed (2001) PURR - The Persistent URL Resource Resolver.
http://resolver.caltech.edu/CaltechLIB:2001.003

The URL actually takes you to a resolver service that redirects you to the
actual destination. The whole purpose of this redirection step is to provide
people with a URL suitable for citation--a URL that does not need to change
even if we move this record to a different server or software, or whatever.

Incidentily, the above reference is a how-to setup such a resolver,
especially for eprints.org users.

--
Ed Sponsler
Caltech Library System