Re: Author Publication Charge Debate

From: David Goodman <David.Goodman_at_liu.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 13:11:39 +0000

I find myself in agreement with Stevan. We need more experience, or
at least more detailed modelling. As a guess, I would think that in
an all-gold OA system there will be journals of varying quality, of
varying breath of readership, and of varying costs to the author. The
author will presumably choose based on all these factors, as well
as the other factors that now are relevant -- friendship, personal
solicitations, detailed specialty, speed of review and publication,
quality of presentation, and so on. The one factor which will be
new is the factor of cost to the author -- a matter which will be of
more concern to some authors than others. It should serve to produce
some competition between journals to increase efficiency of production,
which ought to be generally desirable.

I have previously said, like Chuck, that a very low cost system might be
necessary for some materials, included some areas of zoology and botany.
I note that workers in these systems are already developing information
networks to suit their needs. It is also possible that a very low cost
ArXiv-like system by itself may be best for some subject fields or some
classes of material.

We need experience and analysis, not guesswork (even guesswork from such
high-quality seers as Chuck, Steve, and myself). The first step is to
have the OA journals.

David Goodman
Palmer Library School, LIU
dgoodman_at_palmer.edu