Re: Author Publication Charge Debate

From: Suhail A. R. <sd2_at_gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:14:58 +0000

Bernard Lang wrote:

> In order to understand your position, I would like to know where you
> work, how much your library spends on publications, and what are your
> qualifications to speak for poor countries (for example those where
> hospitals cannot afford a single subscription).

I work in Kuwait, Kuwait University spends a lot on the Medical Library
(equivalent to any major US university Library at the very least - you can
review details online at its website) and most major publications can be
accessed without cost (to users). I did not realise that we require
qualifications to speak for the third world, but none the less I have worked
in Africa, South East Asia & the Caribbean so I have a good idea what user
access restriction means. By the way, if you are located in an area where no
subscriptions are available, and if you view my opinion as blocking the move
to free access for such researchers, I should point out that this discussion
is not arguing against open access as we know it, but about stopping
publishers from replacing one kind of toll based system (access tolls) with
another (author tolls) and therefore restricting author access in the name
of open access. I have worked with a lot of authors in Kuwait (who work
outside Kuwait University) who are unable to pay author tolls. Imagine what
the scenario will be like in a poor third world country?

Suhail