Re: What Provosts Need to Mandate

From: Simeon Warner <simeon_at_cs.cornell.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 14:26:20 +0100

I think there may be a difference between what universities ("employers")
and funding-bodies can reasonably require. There seems sometimes to be an
element of love-hate between scholars and their universities, but with
funding bodies it seems to be a simpler business relationship. If the next
NSF grant I'm involed with said "all publications resulting from this work
must be deposited in open access repositories" then I see that as no less
reasonable than requiring a report within 90days of the end of the grant.
Recall that we already associate publications with grants in the
acknowledgements of publications. In areas where author-pays models are
being tried, the funding bodies might also promote with cash: "up to $xxx
additional funding is available for journal-submission charges of OA
journals". (Some funding bodies, including the NSF, already permit grant
funds to be used to pay such charges, see:
http://jbiol.com/info/faq/apcfaq.asp#grants.)

Where institutions may not feel that they can or want to mandate OA
publication then they may still promote OA by: 1) adopting a policy
promoting OA; 2) educating their faculty about this policy, the benefits
(to the faculty) of OA, and OA publishing options; and 3) offering
practical help in submitting articles to local institutional repositories
or to other OA repositories.

The statement from the president of the Universitat Hamburg submitted to
Stevan's signup page (see http://www.eprints.org/signup/fulllist.php), for
example, strongly supports OA without indicating a requirement that
faculty make all publications OA.

Cheers,
Simeon

Simeon Warner Email: simeon_at_cs.cornell.edu
Cornell Information Science Tel: 607-254-8605
301 College Ave Fax: 607-255-5196
Ithaca, NY 14850-4623, USA