Re: E-Journal overlays (was: Authors and OA)

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 19:05:13 EDT

The overlay-journal idea has two versions. One is simply a convenient way
to submit articles to existing journals -- both OA journals and non-OA
journals: by depositing the preprint in an OAI-compliant archive (BOAI-1).
The other is merely one variant of BOAI-2, alternative OA journals. It is
best to keep the two clearly separate in one's mind, at least untoil more
people get a clear idea of what institutional OA archiving and OA are all
about. This has been much discussed in the American Scientist Open Acces
Forum across the years. I suggest reviewing the archive rather than
recapitulating the discussion.

Stevan Harnad

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004, Ann Okerson wrote:

> (from the web site, at: <www.library.yale.edu/~llicense> for the word
> "overlay," one gets a return of a posting entitled International "Learned
> Journals Seminar" Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 19:50:03.

[SNIP]