Re: Eprint versions and removals

From: Ted Bergstrom <tedb_at_econ.ucsb.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:29:06 +0100

I have been wondering about the same issue that concerns Barbara Quint
in the message quoted below. It seems to me much more satisfactory if
an open archive contains an exact copy of the publisher's pdf version.

Two good reasons for allowing this approach are accuracy of the
scholarly record and convenience for authors.

It seems to me that publishers should be given a stronger incentive
to permit putting the publisher's pdf in their institutional archive.
At least one commercial publisher already allows this, so it is not
beyond possibilities that others could be induced to. Wouldn't it be a
good idea for Sherpa and the scholarly community to distinguish
between "full green" publishers who do allow self-archiving the
pulisher's pdf version, and "pale green" for those who allow the
author to prepare her own pdf version of the final copy?

If self-archiving does catch on, authors are likely to find it important
that they can archive exact copies of their final version. Accordingly,
publishers who want to attract good authors will be under some pressure
to accommodate this desire. Might it also be a good idea for archives
to develop a convention that makes it clear when an archived copy is an
exact replica of the published version?

Ted Bergstrom