Re: "Are Chemical Journals Too Expensive and Inaccessible?"

From: Peter Murray-Rust <pm286_at_CAM.AC.UK>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:24:15 +0100

At 05:41 05/09/2004 +0100, Stevan Harnad wrote:
>There will be a Workshop organized by the Chemical Sciences Roundtable
>National Research Council on Monday and Tuesday October 25th & 26th 2004
>at the National Academies 2101 Constitution Avenue, NW Washington, DC.
>
>The theme will be:
>
> Are Chemical Journals Too Expensive and Inaccessible?
> http://www7.nationalacademies.org/bcst/

We have just had an article accepted for publication in the Royal Society
of Chemistry's journal Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry
which addresses a number of issues in this forum and which may provide
useful at this meeting. The article discusses Open Access and contrasts the
viewpoints from the RSC and the American Chemical Society as highlighted on
this forum. It also argues strongly for Open Data and argues that the whole
of the publication (not just the full text) must be made Openly available.
It outlines a "Manifesto for Open Chemistry" which we believe will still be
important even if all journals become Green. We propose the Budapest OAI
declaration as a useful tool for universal inclusion by authors. If adopted
widely it opens the prospect of machine-understandable chemical
publications and the Chemical Semantic Web based on Open Access.

"Representation and Use of Chemistry in the Global Electronic Age"
Peter Murray-Rust, Henry S. Rzepa, Simon. M. Tyrrell and Y. Zhang

it does not yet have page numbers or a DOI but is self-archived at:

http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa/obc/

This may therefore be among the first officially self-archived chemistry
articles.

We also intend that this article is archived in SHERPA and we are also
working with our own institutional repositories (e.g. dspace_at_cambridge
www.lib.cam.ac.uk/dspace
for the archive of our extended publications.

Peter Murray-Rust
Unilever Centre for Molecular Informatics
Chemistry Department, Cambridge University
Lensfield Road, CAMBRIDGE, CB2 1EW, UK
Tel: +44-1223-763069