Re: Green, Gold, Elsevier, Springer

From: Andy Powell <a.powell_at_ukoln.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 16:04:10 +0100

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, David Goodman wrote:

> Surely we all hope that as Springer and other publishers gain confidence
> with "green" OA, they will relax their requirements and specifically
> permit posting of the final pdfs.

David,

thanks for the reply. I don't strongly disagree with the sentiments you
express... I just feel that the interpretation that you and Stevan are
putting on the Springer Policy is somewhat generous and has a hint of
'rose-tinted' OA spectacles about it. But perhaps you are right...
perhaps these statements are made deliberately vague just so as to allow
you and I freedom to interpret them how we see fit - though I'm still
struggling to see what is vague about saying that we have "the right to
post the final article on a secure network (not accessible to the public)
within the employer's institute".

> There is certainly an example to follow,
> because they all once prohibited interlibrary load from electronic
> versions, and now almost all do. In the intermediate period, their
> language was often ambiguous, and intelligent librarians interpreted it
> in accordance with their patrons' best interest.
>
> We would, imho, be well advised to make vigorous use of the rights our
> campaign has won.

Sure. No-one could disagree with that. The issue in this case is whether
the rights have yet been won - I don't think that is clear from the
wording of the policy. Therefore, in this case, we may be taking rights
that have not yet been granted to us. This may be a perfectly sensible
course of action, but I think we should do so knowingly (i.e. knowing the
risks) and not under some potentially false optimistic illusion about what
Springer are saying we are allowed to do?

Andy.