Re: Self-Archiving vs. Self-Publishing FAQ

From: Brian Simboli <brs4_at_LEHIGH.EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 19:22:56 -0400

Thanks for all who have contributed to these recent discussions. I will cease
and desist since I do not have the luxury of a job that would allow me the
leisure to wade through a thicket of distinctions and counter-distinctions,
faqs, prior emailings and counter-emailngs, lemmae, and definitions. I've
stated my case in commonsensical terms and will leave it at that and, until
such time as I have anything new to say, will let others pick up the discussion
if they so choose.
Brian Simboli

Quoting Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>:

> [...]
> alternative systems that I have trouble even verbalizing in such a way
> as to make them make sense -- except if all they mean is cheaper and
> more efficient online peer-review and/or OA (gold) journal publication
> -- in which case there is nothing new or relevant to discuss here.
>
> > 5. Self-archiving involves "no dollars"? Perhaps for researchers. I
> > speak from a librarian's perspective, however.
>
> This may be a very important point, not considered before. If librarians
> are reluctant (quite understandably and justifiably) to support
> self-archiving with their time and resources it might be best to assign
> the all-important institutional self-archiving function somewhere
> else. Librarians, after all, are not traditionally interested in,
> responsible for or beneficiaries of institutional research impact. (Their
> only involvement with research impact is in connection with journal
> impact factors, in making acquisition/cancellation decisions.)
>
> So rather than having the self-archiving function automatically assigned
> to the library by default, only to have it rejected or minimized in
> an understandable desire to protect library budgets, it may be better
> to assign it elsewhere -- perhaps to computer services, perhaps devolved
> departmentally (something OAI-interoperability and modularity makes
> easy to do), perhaps somewhere else; it's not a big expense in any
> case. No need to saddle librarians with a nontraditional function
> that they would rather not perform -- especially if it keeps getting
> confused with other, traditional library functions (such as acquisition,
> preservation, cataloguing, permissions) with which it does not fit,
> and from which only the wrong conclusions can be drawn.
>
> > But good luck in getting the majority, or even a small minority, of
> > researchers on board with your strategy.
>
> The biggest help will of course be the self-archiving mandate that some
> institutions are already implementing, and that the UK and US and other
> nations may soon be introducing at the national level.
>
> http://www.eprints.org/signup/sign.php
>
> > So too librarians, who find your condescension toward them demeaning.
>
> I am sorry if it sounds like condescension; it is just an attempt to
> put in words what increasingly looks like an attempt to put a round peg
> in a square hole. Librarians were among the historic heroes of the OA
> movement for having rallied us to the access problem as a spin-off of
> the affordability problem. But having alerted us all to the problem,
> it simply seems to be transpiring that the solution may lie elsewhere.
>
> Stevan Harnad
>
> AMERICAN SCIENTIST OPEN ACCESS FORUM:
> A complete Hypermail archive of the ongoing discussion of providing
> open access to the peer-reviewed research literature online (1998-2004)
> is available at:
> http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/index.html
> To join or leave the Forum or change your subscription address:
Forum.html