Re: Who Needs Open Access, and Why?

From: Barbara Kirsop <barbara_at_biostrat.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 03:44:44 +0100

I would humbly suggest that you ask the scientific community in the
developing world whether or not they want open access. I think the answer is
entirely predictable.

But by 'open access' we mean OA Archives,which cost almost nothing to set up
and fill. OA Publishing again imposes barriers to the developing world which
can no way afford the publishing charges asked (though BMC waives these
costs if you can prove you can't pay).

Early days to get statistics from these regions as the news is only now
being transmitted via workshops, web sites etc, but a look at Bioline
International will show you there are over 30 publishers (all
non-commercial) from the developing world already wanting to make their
publications open access so that their research becomes part of the global
library. See http://www.bioline.org.br for the main web site or
http://bioline.utsc.utoronto.ca for the same material on the Bioline eprints
archive. The scientific community in these regions of the world wants its
research to be visible internationally and also wants access to the research
so badly needed for health care, infectious diseases, agriculture, food
science, environmental studies - the list is endless. OA Archiving can close
both knowledge gaps.

>From the persepective of disadvantaged scientists, your question seems to me
like asking a hungry child if it wants this loaf at $2 or the same loaf for
free. The benefits from OA Archiving are incalculable, and not just to
developing country science.

Barbara Kirsop
Electronic Publishing Trust for Development.
http://www.epublishingtrust.org