Re: Who Needs Open Access, and Why?

From: Matthew Cockerill <matt_at_BIOMEDCENTRAL.COM>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 14:18:21 +0100

It's important to be be more specific about the question under investigation
here, surely:

When critics say 'there is no evidence that researchers WANT open access',
do they mean:

(1) "There is no evidence that researchers feel that a lack of open access
to the literature in any significant way impedes their professional activity
as researchers."

We could call this 'Strong denial' of a demand for OA. [I don't think this
is a straw man argument - Elsevier's statements do indeed seem to take this
line.]

Or do they mean
(2) "There is no evidence that researchers are prepared to accept X, Y and Z
as a price worth paying in return for open access.", where X, Y and Z are
issues raised by critics as being risks associated with a movement to Open
Access.

We could call this 'Weak denial' of a demand for OA.

It might be informative to survey researchers (including those in other
countries) on both these issues.

But (1) is by far the more fundamental and important question: is there a
demand that is unsatisfied by the status quo, that implies, if nothing else,
that there may be a better system of publishing than thee status quo, if
only we could find it.

(2) is a far less objective question. What X, Y and Z are depends entirely
on who you ask.

Open Access proponents (including, to judge from their public statement,
major funders such Wellcome, HHMI and Max Planck) would say that X, Y and Z
amount only to a sensible change in the way in which the costs of original
research publishing are paid for, with (most likely) a progressive move away
from library budgets, towards research funding budgets as the prime source.

The extremist fringe of Open Access sceptics (from the 'Weak denial' camp)
might claim that X, Y and Z amount to the disappearance of scientific
societies as we know them, and the collapse of the edifice of scientific
peer review.

You're clearly going to get a completely different set of answers depending
on what version of (2) you ask...
So I would have thought that (1) would be the more useful question to ask.

Matt

==
Matthew Cockerill Ph.D.
Technical Director