Re: Self-Archiving vs. Self-Publishing FAQ

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 00:02:00 +0000

There are very busy people subscribed to the American Scientist Open
Access Forum -- NIH officials, NSF officials, CNRS officials, Max-Planck
officials, university provosts, research funding council heads, laboratory
directors, worldwide -- who are sincerely interested in providing Open
Access to articles published in Peer-Reviewed Journals. That is what the
Open Access movement is about.

Could we *please* stop posting our opinions on every free association
under the sun? The purpose of this Forum is not to debate the definition
of publishing. It is to discuss ways to provide Open Access to articles
published in Peer-Reviewed Journals. The Open Access movement did not
invent the definition of "publishing in a Peer-Reviewed Journal,"
nor did the Open Access movement mandate what research employers,
research funders and researchers themselves consider a peer-reviewed
journal publication. They inherited all that, and now they are working
on trying to make online access to it free ("Open Access").

Could we please refocus on that? There is important work to do,
and those interested in actually doing it will be driven out of the
Forum if it keeps taking up their time going off on irrelevant tangents.

Surely there are other lists one which the definition of publishing,
the reform of peer review, the reform of university evaluative criteria
can all be discussed -- while this Forum focusses on its designated
topic, which is: providing OpenAccess to articles published in Peer-Reviewed
Journals.

Stevan Harnad