Re: Google's Scholarly Search Service and Institutional OA Self-Archiving

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 13:11:49 +0000

Google Scholar http://scholar.google.com
currently has 3,630 items for Dspace and
16,100 for Eprints. I expect both are undercounts. Eprints
certainly is, otherwise the figure would be at the very least
55,000 (for the Eprints subset harvested by celestial)
http://celestial.eprints.org/cgi-bin/eprints.org/graph
or at the very-very-very least 31,688:
http://www.eprints.org/

I hope Google Scholar will cover these two sets of scholarly
full-text sites more fully. They are likely to provide the
richest source of scholarly full-texts. Regular Google, for
example, already carries 210,000 items from Eprints, so they
are in there! Just a matter of porting them to Google Scholar!

The fact that the item is in Eprints or Dspace should be a criterion in
scholar.google's identification rule. So should the fact that
it comes form an OAI-compliant site.

Stevan Harnad