ASBMB is Gold and (a fortiori) also Green

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 04:00:37 +0000

Below is a clarification of the access provision policy of the
American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.
    http://www.asbmb.org/

The four ASBMB journals -- The Journal of Biological Chemistry,
Molecular and Cellular Proteomics, Journal of Lipid Research, and
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education -- are all Gold: The
first three are made available for free online, via HighWire Press,
from the moment they are accepted, in accordance with ASBMB's
"Papers in Press" system
    http://www.jbc.org/cgi/content/full/275/13/9085
and the fourth is made freely available upon publication.

All gold journals are a-fortiori green too; hence ASBMB is also green
on author self-archiving of both the pre-refereeing preprint and the
peer-reviewed postprint on the author's institutional website. The only
uncertainty (and it is of no importance) was about the publisher's
PDF. The definition of "postprint" is the peer-reviewed final draft:
either the author's version or the publisher's PDF.
    http://www.eprints.org/glossary/#postprint
Some green publishers allow the local self-archiving of their PDF and
some do not. ASBMB policy on this may be changing, but, as noted, it is of
absolutely no importance: ASBMB is 100% green and 100% gold either way.

Bravo to ASBMB for its exemplary open access provision policy!
Let us hope all four will soon be registered in both the directory
of gold journals
    http://www.doaj.org/suggest
    http://www.doaj.org/
and the directory of green journals
    http://www.sherpa.ac.uk/romeoupdate.php
    http://romeo.eprints.org/

Stevan Harnad
Moderator, American Scientist Open Access Forum