Re: Open Access vs. NIH Back Access and Nature's Back-Sliding

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 04:47:18 +0000

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 Ray.English_at_OBERLIN.EDU wrote:

> As I understand it, the NIH status overrides any question of publisher
> permission. It's a prior condition stemming from NIH having funded the
> research in the first place.

Can someone please explain this NIH override, what it applies to, and when it
takes effect?

> I would also point out that the NIH does not require deposit into PubMed
> Central. But by allowing it, they do create some additional opportunities
> for OA that don't exist outside the NIH context.

As I understand it, NIH does not require anything, it just encourages. And
the only thing it encourages (in the current proposed version of the policy)
is to deposit in PMC, within 12 months of publication.

Stevan Harnad