Re: Open Access vs. NIH Back Access and Nature's Back-Sliding

From: Tim Brody <tdb01r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 11:28:04 +0000

Brian Simboli wrote:

> (Worries that
> people will merely use OAIster or google to bring up all the articles
> for a given issue can be circumvented if the journal title is suppressed
> in the metadata for the freely available article.)

This wouldn't help citation linking, which is already pretty patchy.
Anyway, I think you'll find autonomous services already get around
missing metadata through triangulation!

> Interestingly, aren't the physics societies right now partially
> committed to something like a de facto subscription overlay model, in
> that many physics peer-reviewed postprints are being archived on
> arxiv.org and are therefore freely accessible? Why shouldn't the physics
> socieities then just directly link to the postprints at arxiv.org,
> obviating the need for authors to engage in duplicative, afterglow
> self-archiving efforts? Or is it the case that, if only a portion of
> articles published by the physics societies have self-archived
> counterparts on arxiv, the "tipping point" has not been reached yet
> where it becomes not in their economic interest to allow access to a
> free copy (via author self-archiving)?

I believe that some physics societies will accept *submissions* from a
pre-print server, but it's not the case that the publisher version gets
pushed back onto an e-print server (unless the author has permission and
does that himself, which I haven't noticed).

Searching for "referee" in arXiv finds only ~1000 matches, "referee or
corrected" only 37,000. So, perhaps:
1) Physicists don't need to make corrections (so only the pre-print is
arXived)
2) Only the post-refereed version gets archived
3) Physicists don't provide a comment when they do update to reflect
referee's comments

See also Alma Swan's presentation
http://www.eprints.org/jan2005/ppts/swan.ppt).

All the best,