Re: Open Access vs. NIH Back Access and Nature's Back-Sliding

From: Brian Simboli <brs4_at_LEHIGH.EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 08:36:05 -0500

Thanks for your comments.
In [ ] are replies below.
A general point: even if the subscription overlay is not the best or
most economically viable model, this does not mean that some other
overlay design is not desirable. Also, my critique of the faults of the
green approach, as expressed in various venues, does not ride on the
viability of the subscription overlay model. One thing is pretty clear
so far: librarians as a group are not likely to be enamored with this
approach, which (along with the other considerations thus far expressed)
is one reason why it is unlikely to succeed. The NIH and Nature events
have signalled the final death-knell of the green approach, in any case,
imho.
Brian Simboli

Tim Brody wrote:

> Brian Simboli wrote:
>
>> (Worries that
>> people will merely use OAIster or google to bring up all the articles
>> for a given issue can be circumvented if the journal title is suppressed
>> in the metadata for the freely available article.)
>

> This wouldn't help citation linking, which is already pretty patchy.
> Anyway, I think you'll find autonomous services already get around
> missing metadata through triangulation!

[Re. citation linking: SFX works for access to both "for pay" (part of
subscriptions) and "not for pay"
articles. Can you elaborate here? I guess I'm not seeing the argument.
If the argument is that citation linking would only work for access to
the material as linked off the subscription table of contents, then that
seems no problem. No different from the way things are done now, right?
Re. triangulation, I take it the argument here is that an autonomous
service could perhaps do this and artificially create a table of
contents that would compete
commercially with the subscription-based table of contents. However,
some possible rejoinders are:
i. suppress not just the journal title, but also most other information
that would enable the triangulation. Perhaps just the author's name
would be left?
ii. again, I've argued that institutions may be willing to pay for
value-added features of the publisher's website, not just access to
table of contents. Even if an autonomous service did what you mention,
there is no guarantee that they could provide these value-added services
in quite the way the publisher would.
iii. even if there were these autonomous services doing triangulation,
would institutions rather pay them than pay for the direct access from
the publisher's table of content? It would get down to pricing, and as
I've argued, the subscription overlay model would force pricing to be
low, by its design. It would not be a commercial enterprise, but rather
a cost recovery one.]

>> Interestingly, aren't the physics societies right now partially
>> committed to something like a de facto subscription overlay model, in
>> that many physics peer-reviewed postprints are being archived on
>> arxiv.org and are therefore freely accessible? Why shouldn't the physics
>> socieities then just directly link to the postprints at arxiv.org,
>> obviating the need for authors to engage in duplicative, afterglow
>> self-archiving efforts? Or is it the case that, if only a portion of
>> articles published by the physics societies have self-archived
>> counterparts on arxiv, the "tipping point" has not been reached yet
>> where it becomes not in their economic interest to allow access to a
>> free copy (via author self-archiving)?
>

> I believe that some physics societies will accept *submissions* from a
> pre-print server, but it's not the case that the publisher version gets
> pushed back onto an e-print server (unless the author has permission and
> does that himself, which I haven't noticed).

[This is just an argument for the subscription overlay publisher working
closely with
the likes of arxiv, to push the publisher version onto the e-print
server. The model may
require changes in the way things have been done in the past, but these
changes don't seem
overwhelmingly daunting.]

> Searching for "referee" in arXiv finds only ~1000 matches, "referee or
> corrected" only 37,000. So, perhaps:
> 1) Physicists don't need to make corrections (so only the pre-print is
> arXived)
> 2) Only the post-refereed version gets archived
> 3) Physicists don't provide a comment when they do update to reflect
> referee's comments

[Can you elaborate on how this constitutes a critique of the