Re: Proposed update of BOAI definition of OA: Immediate and Permanent

From: Leslie Chan <chan_at_utsc.utoronto.ca>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 21:26:43 -0500

I am against updating the BOAI definition of OA because I think the
current definition is more than adequate and the proposed update is
needlessly confusing, as Heather's reply and Stevan's further attempt at
clarification aptly demonstrates. No one knows what "permanent" means in
the digital realm, so why add that level of uncertainly.

The current definition is sufficiently clear and sufficiently flexible to
allow a broad range of approaches to OA, from author self-archiving of
untagged paper to self-archiving of paper in OAI-compliant institutional
repository, and from hybrid form of OA journal publications (as in Bioline
International) to the fully OA journal publications (as in PLoS).

Let's agree that there are multiple flavours of OA (to use John
Willinsky's term) and that there are no one-size-fits all solution for all
circumstances. (Just as "Publish or Perish" is not as absolute as Les Carr
just pointed out). Endless argument over whether the "green" or "gold"
road is the best way to archive OA is counterproductive. So is an overly
restrictive definition of OA.

For some discipline with no history of self-archiving, the gold route may
be best. For some institutions with sufficient administrative foresight
and support, the Southampton-type approach to institutional archive may be
best, while other institutions, particularly those in developing
countries, may take different tacts. I am far from certain what these
tacts may be, but I am certain that the approaches will not be
homogeneous, given the vast differences in disciplinary and cultural
practices. But as long as the results are OA and improved visibility and
research impact, then let a thousand flowers bloom. Let's not worry how
long the blossom will last, or how fast the flower will emerge from its
bud.

Leslie Chan