Re: Dlib Report on Berlin 3 on Open Access to appear today

From: guedon <jean.claude.guedon_at_umontreal.ca>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:26:15 -0500

Dear all,

In his very recent dlib posting, Stevan harnad is defining OA in too
constraining a fashion for me.

By limiting OA to "all refereed research journal articles", Stevan
harnad forces to look only at journals as they exist now and prevents us
from imagining other venues, other possibilities for refereeing.

I disagree strongly with this constraint.

The definition should simply aim at "refereed research results" without
excluding a priori various forms of publication that are emerging or
will emerge soon.

I know about Stevan Harnad's arguemnt that he want to stick with what
exists now. I have already dealt with this in an earlier message:
claiming to want to change and, at the same time, claiming to stick
strictly with the "what is" appears somewhat bizarre to me, to say the
least.

The important point here is "refereed" as it marks the procedure - or
call it ritual, if you want - that clearly demarcates the scientific
communication system from the non-scientific. The status and evaluation
of scientists rests on this clearly demarcated border. However, once the
procedure is clearly identified - i.e. it is a peer-review procedure -
it can be applied to a variety of research results, whatever their
format, venue, etc...

Best,

Jean-Claude Guédon