Re: Ann Okerson on institutional archives

From: Leslie Carr <lac_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 14:38:55 +0000

To be fair to Ann Okerson, she did not state that institutional
archives (or repositories) are likely to be expensive, only that
respondents to her survey were concerned that was the case. Very little
of her article address Institutional Repositories, and the paragraphs
that did only suggested that IR's could have a role for OA. Clearly, Dr
Okerson believes that IRs began with some other role and may be adapted
towards Open Access and not vice versa. (This may be down to the change
in nomenclature from Institutional Archives to Institutional
Repositories - I for one would be quite interested to see a definitive
etymology).

I think that her article should be read as an American voice (hence the
title "reflections from the United States") in a wider discussion, some
of which (mainly UK) is represented in the other articles in this issue
of "Serials". The article does seem at variance with accepted
definitions of Open Access (e.g. Open Access is defined as concerning
the research literature not administrative reports of the funded
projects; also self-archiving in repositories has always been
recommended as an Open Access strategy) but I do not know whether this
is a national, institutional, professional or personal difference of
views.
---

---
Les Carr