Re: OA Content Provision vs. OA Content Preservation

From: Barry Mahon <barry.mahon_at_IOL.IE>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:06:25 +0200

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 18:36:54 +0200, Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ECS.SOTON.AC.UK> wrote:

> The posting below concerns the general digital preservation problem
> and its costs and business models. That is not the subject matter
> of the American Scientist Open Access Forum, which is about open
> access (and, at most, about long-term access to an institution's own
> self-archived output), *not* about digital preservation in general,
> or digital preservation of the official contents of journals in
> particular, nor its costs or the business models for covering those
> costs. Please redirect discussion of digital preservation in general
> (as opposed to what is specific to open-access content provision
> and preservation in particular) to the Digital Preservation list:
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/archives/digital-preservation.html

I don't suppose you'll publish this but I absolutely disagree with your assessment. The issue arose as part of an economic question concerning the establishement of an institutional repository. I would consider the economics of IRs as a legitimate topic for this list - but you are the moderator.

Bye, Barry