Re: A Prophylactic Against the Edentation of the RCUK Policy Proposal

From: J.F.B.Rowland <J.F.Rowland_at_LBORO.AC.UK>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 13:46:09 +0100

This is a problem - the viability of smaller society publishers - that you
choose to leave aside, Stevan. That's o.k.; you are an academic, and you
think about academics' problems, like visibility and impact. The Chief
Executive of the Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers
can't ignore it; it's her job to think about it. I choose to think about it
because, even though I am now an academic, I worked for the first half of my
career for learned society publishers. I am strongly in favour of OA and
institutional repositories, but I'm in favour of societies and their
publication programmes too, and I'd like to find a way of us having both.
These issues are bundled together. Bodies - like JISC, say - who are trying
to find a new and practicable way of organising scholarly communication.
They have to take into account all of the players in the game.

Fytton.