Re: A Prophylactic Against the Edentation of the RCUK Policy Proposal

From: Leslie Chan <chan_at_UTSC.UTORONTO.CA>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 11:34:12 -0400

The viability of smaller society publishers is indeed important for the
health and diversity of scholarly communication as a whole, and I strongly
endorse Fytton's view of finding ways to integrate OA with existing
publishing programs. It is worth noting that the many problems small society
publishers face (shrinking subscription, low submissions, low impact etc.)
predate the internet and open access. The fear that open access is
detrimental to small society publishers need to be better substantiated and
the benefits of OA for the same publishers should also be better documented
so that informed decisions could be made. I think that was one of Stevan's
points.

Our experience working with small publishers from developing countries is
that free access online has substantially improved visibility, author
submissions, and citations. A key part of our strategy is to use
OAI-compliant eprints server to maximize exposure and access of journal
publications:

https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/handle/1807/2759
http://159.226.100.146/%BB%E1%D2%E9%BF%CE%BC%FE/Session%207-2Leslie.pdf

We are far from having a long-term business plan and sustainability model
and we are heavily reliant on university and grant subsidy. We do believe
that if small society publishers wish to continue to serve its members and
communities, then they need to find alternative revenue streams, form new
publishing partnerships with universities or like-minded organizations,
instead of trying to delay open access. We should also try to persuade
funding and aids agencies to fund institutional repositories and fund
journals based on readership and citation rather than on circulation or
subscription. But we need to share data and information about subscription
and citation.

Best
Leslie Chan
Bioline International