Re: A Prophylactic Against the Edentation of the RCUK Policy Proposal

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 16:03:55 +0100

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Sally Morris (ALPSP) wrote:

> Stevan, I don't know what planet you live on (;-) but on Planet Earth the
> problem librarians are trying to address - and the reason for any
> enthusiasm for repositories or any other means of OA - is a shortage of funds

Sally, that might be the reason for librarians' (and library funders') enthusiasm
for OA, but it is not the main reason for OA. The reason for OA is to maximise
research impact, hence research progress and productivity. And the *providers*
of OA are not and cannot be librarians (be they ever so enthusiastic): The
only providers of OA are the researchers themselves. And the only reason that
will persuade them (and their funders) to provide it is that it manximises their
research impact.

So whereas both the publishing community and the library community
are marginally implicated in OA (each can either help or hinder it)
OA-provision itself is 100% in the hands of the OA-providers: the research
community. It can and will be done only by and for them.

It is to the research community that the RCUK mandate is addressed.

Stevan

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200304/cmselect/cmsctech/399/399we152.htm