Re: Leading academics back UK Research Councils on self-archiving

From: Richard Durbin <rd_at_SANGER.AC.UK>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:38:13 +0100

Foprgetting about the semantics, I believe that there is some evidence
that making articles open access reduces print subscriptions.

The BMJ (British Medical Journal) was a leader in making all its content
freely accessible (full text in 1998) and a strong believer in the value
of donig this. Although electronic access continued to increase
(http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/aboutsite/visitorstats.shtml) its
subscriptions started to suffer, and from January this year they
introduced access controls for non-primary research (original research
articles remain free
http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/329/7478/DC1). I understand
this was done after substantial internal debate - a lot of lay people
access the medical literature as well as medical professionals and
academics, and the BMJ wanted to maximise access and use.

In case someone says "this is fine - all we care about is original
research" there are two points to make:
  1) that is irrelevant to main reason for bringing this up - BMJ found
that making all its content available online for free damaged its
subscriptions
  2) we should be concerned about secondary literature also; public
review and commentary is an important part of academic activity.

I may have got some things wrong about the decision making process at
BMJ. If there is someone working there who reads this it would be good
for them to confirm/correct.

Richard