Re: Leading academics back UK Research Councils on self-archiving

From: (wrong string) édon <jean.claude.guedon_at_umontreal.ca>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 20:33:10 -0400

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

Thank you. This is about what I was trying to say. OA will probably be
disruptive in a variety of ways, and most probably on the economic
front.

Peter Suber puts it exquisitely :

"The purpose of the campaign for OA is the constructive one of providing
OA to a larger and larger body of literature, not the destructive one of
putting non-OA journals or publishers out of business. The consequences
may or may not overlap (this is contingent) but the purposes do not
overlap." (http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/overview.htm).

No one that I know in the OA movement has the intention of putting
publishers out of business, but if OA succeeds, as I firmly believe it
will, the business model of publishers is going to change radically
(there I am a little more sanguine than Peter who leaves the hypothesis
up in the air) if only because publishers will try to adapt. Springer's
Open Choice may well be a first (and clever) sign of these kinds of
transformations.

At the same time, raising this possibility does not deter from the goal
of OA; it is part and parcel of the larger picture tht we also need to
steer this movement in the right directions while taking into account
the varied perspectives of all those involved. It might be nice to
imagine that all this is by researchers only for researchers only, but
history has left us with various sedimented layers of various agents
that we cannot brush aside simply by focusing as narrowly as possible.

I also take advantage of this response to thank Michael Kurtz who in his
message from this afternoon gave us a neat and clear exposition of how
the complementarity works. Nowhere in my questioning did I question the
impact advantages of having articles in OA repositories: I believe the
effect is real and I have often quoted the same articles (or some of
them) to support the same thesis. What I was puzzling about was the fact
that such a small *proportion* of the links went back to ArXiv compared
to the journals, not that the OA repositories were in little *absolute*
use. All my arguments rested on the very comparison set up by Michael
Kurtz' most interesting posting:

"For the month of July 2005, looking at ApJ articles from 2004, there
were 46,128 links followed, 19,149 of these were to the full text of the
article, and 1,479 of these were to the OA astro_ph version. The OA
version was 3.2% of total links and 7.7% of full text links (with the
rest of the full text links to the subscription only journal)."

What intrigued me was the comparison of 1,479 to 19,149, not the
absolute value 1,479. Afterwards, I tried to interpret. I underscore the
phrase "I tried..." just in case...

Michael Kurtz added some important details in his second posting and
these make my interpretation weaker, while suggesting new questions:
this is fine by me because that is how we (and I) can progress. His
reaction also seemed to show that he had understood my text better than
Stevan.

Jean-Claude Guédon

--
Dr. Jean-Claude Guédon