Re: Leading academics back UK Research Councils on self-archiving

From: David Goodman <David.Goodman_at_LIU.EDU>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 17:28:44 -0400

Stevan can only "second-guess" the logic, but I can specify a little
more knowledgably about how libraries will think
when substantial journal content is available OA. As he recognizes,
at any given institution there will be some marginal journals that
have just escaped cancellation. Why does he not recognize that the
additional factor that first 25%, then 50%, then 75%, then almost all,
 of the content is readily available elsewhere will be quite enough for
most librarians (and faculty) to justify their cancellation. Then next
year there will be the next stratum of lowest-value journals still
remaining, and again the percentage readily available otherwise
will be a factor. And, as he says "seriatim. "

Like Stevan, I think it probable that this will not seriously affect the
high-quality journals, and for the reasons he cites, but we cannot
prove it, only wait and see. However I think it almost certainly will
affect the lower quality journals, but I cannot prove it, or he disprove it.

There are ways of preventing or minimizing the loss of subscriptions,
and it is suggestive that physics, which has seen few cancellations, is
the area where many of the most important journals have had no
price increases for several years. If other publishers did the same,
perhaps their journals would survive. I see that a few are
not increasing prices for next year, so perhaps others
 too will come to a clearer understanding of their basic interests.

Librarians are responsible to the students and the faculty
for getting the material that users need.
While publishers provide this most effectively, they will buy as many
journals as they can afford. To the extent that this is not
most effectively done by publishers, they will make use of other routes,
of which OA is the most obvious and the best.

The authors and readers do have the last word, which they express
by what journals they publish in, read, or cite, all of which
librarians routinely measure. When price increases require cuts,
cuts there will be--the most the faculty will need to decide is which
particular titles shall be cancelled. The library budget is
not set by the physics faculty. When prices increase more than funds, if
the faculty intend to keep all their journals, they must contribute some money.
In twenty-five years as an academic librarian, I have know only one instance
of such contribution, and it was not in the sciences.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgoodman_at_liu.edu