Re: Green Party Green on Gold but not on Green

From: David Goodman <David.Goodman_at_LIU.EDU>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 17:56:57 -0400

The obvious solution is for authorities to mandate publishing under
any form of OA, and provide the facilities and the funding for both
Green, and Gold, each of which exist to some extent, and need expansion.
The authors will choose.

To argue which ought to develop faster is futile;
they will be judged by their result. Even the debaters agree
that progress so far has been very slow in all directions.

One not convinced of the merits of OA, might regard
the present debate as demonstrative of the
 mutual lack of understanding among the advocates of OA.
This might be seen as sufficient reason to reject its advocates
as immature and their plans as undeveloped.

The argument that there need be no
debate if everyone agreed to do it it the way a particular person
likes, is self-condemning. It is not the other people alone who
should stop the conflict.

Such arguments on this list are doing harm to OA. We should, for
example, not condemn the slowness of OA Journals (or IRs) to develop,
but should discuss ways of helping them both. A plan that does not
make provision for all plausible alternatives is the plan of
an autocratic administrator, not of responsible scientists working on
questions of policy.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University