Re: Green Party Green on Gold but not on Green

From: David Goodman <David.Goodman_at_LIU.EDU>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 23:55:55 -0400

In responding to

>> But there is no denying that
>> there is the potential that it substitutes publishing when - not if -
>> it gets organized properly and offers the material with journal
>> 'labels' attached. Journals (i.e. their publishers and organizers of
>> peer-review) will vanish.

it is not "mere semantics" to say that the response

"There may or not be the potential, but there is today not a shred of
evidence in that direction."

is misleading. It would be correct to say

"There is today not a shred of uncontested evidence
either in that direction or against that direction."

Scientists should observe the same standards of proof and logic
in discussions of OA that they would observe in their own scientific field.
Stevan would surely not pass a student who could not distinguish the two
sentences, and neither would I.

Stevan's summary of Jan's general views

"Jan is a publisher, concerned about future publishing models. Researchers
are concerned about present access and impact."

is however right on the spot. Publishers and librarians both have
long known that most scientists are concerned only about their immediate
project and its immediate publication and its recognition by their immediate circle,
who already have access. Unless they are judged by citation counting, they do not
care if their papers are not read or cited by those in second-rate institutions.
If they were concerned about the longer term effects or
broader questions of access and ownership, we would have had OA long ago.
Stevan has gone repeatedly on record about the difficulty of convincing authors to
routinely use OA. He here provides the reason. They have mostly shown they will
not learn from Stevan, or follow his own excellent practices. It will take the
development of "future publishing models" to establish OA.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgoodman_at_liu.edu