Some further facts

From: (wrong string) édon <jean.claude.guedon_at_umontreal.ca>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:21:52 -0400

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

Here are somme basic facts coming out of Canada, and provided by David
Moorman within the Social Science and Humanities Research Council:

     1. a large majority of Canadian journals are in the SS&H
        disciplines
     2. almost all of these journals are subsidized by SSHRC (161 of
        175)
     3. half are owned by scholarly associations, with the other half
        being owned by academic presses or informal groups of
        researchers.
     4. there is little commercial penetration into this market, but it
        is starting to grow
     5. a large majority are struggling to adopt electronic means of
        dissemination, but there are few extra resources for this, and
        outside of Quebec, no service providers. Almost half have
        already turned to electronic service providers in the US.

NB The 175 figure above does not cover all the Canadian scholarly
journals. For example the 14 science journals from NRC are not included
here precisely because they are not SSH journals. Incidentally, these 14
journals are OA within Canada and not outside, which is curious, to say
the least.

More figures are needed from everywhere. Can we build a working group
around this issue? I am willing to take care of it. Perhaps we could
build a separate listserv around this, but ewe could begin coordination
here.

Best regards to all (including Stevan),

jcg
--