Australian Public Funding of Journals

From: Arthur Sale <ahjs_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 09:56:25 +1000

In Australia, as far as I know, exactly *no* scholarly journal is explicitly
supported by the Australian Government. We just don't do that sort of market
distortion. Journals survive on their value to subscribers.

I exclude of course indirect funding via subscriptions to Australian
journals by Australian university libraries, and free services provided by
Australian editors, associate editors and referees whose salaries are paid
by universities or research institutions, which are unknowable. There may be
a few journals which are operated by public funded agencies as part of their
mission (I doubt it), but 'support' for these will certainly not go as high
as a conscious public funding decision.

I suspect the same is true of the whole South Pacific and SE Asian region.

Arthur Sale
Professor of Computing Research