Re: Maximising the Return on UK's Public Investment in Research

From: David Goodman <David.Goodman_at_LIU.EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 22:17:46 -0400

I can contribute the experience Stevan asks for--and at both economic ends
of the spectrum.

Previously, I was associated as Biology Librarian with one of the richest of all
universities, with the library treated fairly generously by comparative standards.
Over the period 1990-2001, I found it necessary to cancel
about one-third of our journals (considering unique titles only, not duplicates
made almost obsolete by e-journals. ) Lacking schools of medicine, agriculture,
or natural resources, almost no material in these subjects could be purchased.

Our excellent very fast document delivery service,
provided same-day or next-day delivery of several thousand articles a year.
 Good as it was, it was not instantaneous. I estimated at the time that the
use of the journals requested would have increased about five-fold if owned.

If this was the state of one of the research libraries in one of the very
best research universities, the situation surely would not have been better elsewhere.
Open Access to research journals material would have permitted considerable staff
saving, greater user satisfaction, and undoubtedly more efficient user work. This must
have been true almost everywhere else.

I now teach at a small university, where the Library Science program is one of the only
two doctoral programs, and consequently relatively well provided for. The other subjects
are not. In order to give a realistic course in science reference work, it is necessary to
teach the subject at a cooperative university in the nearest urban center. The undergraduates
at my institution cannot possibly receive a good training in the library side of research. The
faculty travel to major university libraries periodically, in spite of the inconvenience. Such
was the best practical way to access material in 1805 or even 1905; it is not in 2005.
Current Contents was wonderful in 1965; much better can be expected forty years later.

Some of the benefits of OA can be specified in monetary terms, but many of its
advantages can be quantified only indirectly. It is artifical to measure the value
in terms of a single country. It will help wealthy countries with
thriving research activity, and small countries without. The benefits of OA are
for all authors and all readers in rich and poor educational instiututions,
and also those without such affiliation. It will help research in private enterprises as well as
public institutions. It will improve the service being offered by all libraries. It will benefit
the general public. Properly organized, it should also benefit the publishers. Stevan is
right that it is important to do it rapidly. It should be done right now as best we can,
but it so important that it should also be done so it can be readily improved later.

Even not considering monetary values, education, research, libraries, and OA are of
obvious benefit to all. There was a time when many people were illiterate, though
now we regard literacy as a basic right. It will be similarly for OA.

Dr. David Goodman
dgoodman_at_liu.edu