ETD2005 in Australia

From: Arthur Sale <ahjs_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 08:56:10 +1100

For information

Last week ETD2005 (8th International Electronic Theses and Dissertations
Symposium) was held in Sydney Australia. I attended, as did Stevan Harnad
and 150 others from all around the world. Congratulations to the
organizers for a very successful conference.

If you are interested in open access for theses, the papers are all open
access at the conference site
http://adt.caul.edu.au/etd2005/program.html, and of course authors are
authorized to self-archive them as well (and some have, like me).

There are case studies from Africa, Asia, North and South America, Europe
and of course Australia &#8211; in fact every habitable continent. I
won&#8217;t make the mistake of singling out any one paper, but it may be
worth your while browsing. I think though that one thing we all came away
with was a determination to make the submission of ETDs by the PhD
graduate mandatory, and to push for 100% coverage of universities,
particularly in Australia where this was achievable in a short time frame
(currently 67%).

Arthur Sale

Professor of Computing (Research)